4 DIFFERENCES, 9 MONTHS TO GO


I have now been in Canada for exactly one month 💃. The experience has been almost exclusively positive despite the many differences in culture(and in nature!). I have (naturally) had a bit of homesickness but nothing too significant. I am sure the homesickness will be worse thought, espescially as it gets closer to christmas.
For my second post on this blog I decided to make a list of the differences between Norway and Quebec that I have noticed until now.

1. The nature 🌴
Before arrival, I had always pictured Canada as a country with the same kind of nature as Norway; high mountains everywhere, large spruces and small communities. And I wouldn't say the reality is that far off, but i was so suprised when I couldn't see a single mountain in the horizon.



2. The Canadian food
As a European, I can clarily notice the American fast-food culture and food that taste more sugary and seems like may contain more fat. I like the food here, but I tend to miss Norwegian salmon and meatballs.


3. Language!!
This might be really obvious, but the languages in these two countries are so different. Norwegian is not actually an easy language, but in comparison to french, it is. I had also assumed that the level of english would be higher here in Quebec, considering that the rest of the country is Anglophone.

4. The school system
There are sooo many differences between the school systems! First of all, its really strange for me being in the last grade, when I was the youngest in my school last year. Norway has only 3 years of Secodary school (year 11-13),  and we do not have anything like cecep or college either. The school days and the classes are longer here, it is much more people and I am not used to a bell ringing me in and out of classes.


Comments

  1. Welcome to our school Karen;) I am so happy to be in your class this year and I'm also sorry for you, having to learn new things in a different country and with all those new people! I hope that you will be able to pass trough the year haha! You can always ask me for help when you are not sure of something, I'll be here to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I did not know Canada was so different from where you live. I sure hope you still like it here and find a certain comfort in our country. French might seem quite hard for now, but at the end of the year, I am sure you will get the hang of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed so many differences for what concerns the nature, the food and the school, too! I guess (and hope) we'll get used to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you like your experience since the beginning of the year and good luck for the rest of your exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it really interesting that you are noticing differences between your country and our. I'm so glad you are spending time with us this year! I wish you good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very interesting to see how you are feeling with the différences and all! I hope you are going to love your trip here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting Karen! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog