«Q&A» 20.11.2018

It`s nearly been 3 months since I left my home-country now and all in all, it`s going really well! I am well aware that I am 5240 kilometers away from my family and friends, but I still feel really connected and close to them, ish.
I actually had no idea what to write for this post, but I decided to show you and answer some of the many questions I've gotten as a foreigner here in Canada. 

1. What is the strange letter in your name? (My name is Karen RingkjøØstgaard :) ) 🈵🈶
This is one of the questions I have gotten the most, and it's always super entertaining to hear Canadians attempt to pronounce my name. The Norwegian alphabet actually has 29 letters instead of 26. These additional letters are Æ, Ø and Å. I don't have the answer to why we have these letters and other languages doesn't, because these sounds are used in many other languages as well! I found a music video made by some other Norwegians that may explain the concept more (...or not really):



2. Do you have snow in Norway?
Yes, we do! Well, not as it is here right now. Our snow usually comes in the beginning of December and our average temperature during the coldest periods of winter is somewhere around -20. Because of that, I am not really looking forward to January and February as I've heard that the temperature might go down to -40. 

Related imageImage result for winter norway city
3. Does every Norwegian have blue eyes and blond hair?
No, not at all, but certainly more people than here. Studies show about 60% of the population has blonde ish hair, and 85% has some sort of light coloured eyes. Still, the percentage is gradually going down, maybe as a result from an increasing immigration and more international relations.  
I don’t know if it's as stereotypical, but Norwegians are also generally quite tall (the average measures 6 cm taller than Canada). This is something that, from time to time, causes problems when we are outside the country. My family has for instance experienced both too low showers and way too short beds while being on vacation 😅

4. Did you ever try poutine before coming to Canada, and do you like it?

No, I had not! Even though Norwegians eat potatoes to nearly every meal, I had never seen anything resembling the poutine. I think I tried it during my first two weeks, and I wouldn’t say it is one of my favorites, but it’s definitely not bad. Well, not until the last bites at least, when the taste of the sauce and cheese gets just a bit too intense and fulling. I would like to try different varieties of poutine some time, but then I’ll have to make sure that I’m both hungry and, in the moment, do not mind being unhealthy.
Generally, I would say the Norwegian cuisine is a bit healthier than here. I think a part of the reason might be that Canada is so clearly influenced by the American fast-food culture. In addition, you guys have extremely many choices (restaurants, groceries, products etc.)!! As a small-town Norwegian, I find it so fascinating going around in the Canadian grocery stores exploring food and products that I don’t even know what are, haha.






Comments

  1. Nice post! It is nice to have the answers for all those questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very interesting to learn all these things about your country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is very cool to know things about your country! You surprised me! I have to say that I really like your blog and how you write. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog